Before I dive in, let me preface this by saying that I will not pretend to know much of anything about Peter King aside from his employment at Sports Illustrated. You could say I know almost nothing about him. Feels good to get that off my chest. Somewhere during my journey through the the world wide web, I crossed paths with a unicorn in the shape of a Peter King tweet.
This isn’t so much a knock on Petey as it is on everyone who doesn’t listen to music at the gym. Peter King just so happens to be the face of that group. How do people workout without listening to music? I’ve gotten to the gym and realized I didn’t have headphones so I went home. Multiple times. But the physical act of going to the gym is no different than working out anyway. Going to the gym is going to the gym anyway you slice it. Just how you can’t workout without shoes, you can’t workout without music. It kills time, it’s a distraction from the physical activity, it’s motivation, it’s a no brainer.
I’m sure there’s a bunch of tough guys out there who “don’t need music to workout”. Those are probably the same asshole who wear hats. Don’t be a hero. “Likes to just think” is complete insanity. The only things that I think about at the gym are as followed but not limited to:
- Who will drive my car home if I pass out and go to the hospital?
- How much longer do I have to stay here until it’s considered a full workout (even though nobody knows/cares how long I’ve been here for)?
- That guy in the wife beater and snapback is not impressing anyone, certainly not me.
- Why am I here?
- Why do the gym managers wear suits?
- This thing is too heavy how the fuck does anyone lift this thing?
I can absolutely get behind the notion that going to the gym allows you to clear your mind and all that jazz. I have no issue with that. But you need music and headphones, plain and simple.